Mobile messenger, WhatsApp, after being acquired by Facebook for an immense sum of $19 billion, is going through some of the most awaited changes. In this aspect; there is a surprise for android users that were really conscious of their privacy settings at this messenger.
Many of WhatsApp users might be unacquainted that now they can disable their “last seen at” time stamp on Android that was previously possible on just iOS. Overwhelmingly, users can not just hide their last online status timestamp from contacts and from strangers but also they can conceal their profile picture and status.
Unlike settings on iOS, another interesting phase about WhatsApp privacy on android is that one can switch freely between the visible and invisible status, devoid of having to wait for 24 hours for the changes to reflect on. However, at iOS, if one desires to switch timestamp off on this app, he has to toggle for another day to get done with changes.
However, this privacy feature might not be available on the Play Store version of WhatsApp yet, but users can get towards it by installing the app all over again.
Here are the steps to get towards latest privacy feature for WhatAapp.
- Ensure that your smartphone is running Android 2.1 or a newer version
- Then, go to the WhatsApp website and download the APK (application) file available under Whatsapp/Android
- After this APK file download, there will be two options showing as ‘Package Installer’ and ‘Verify and Install’; choose the first one.
- Selecting the first option will direct you towards a message saying that “this application will make changes to WhatsApp; permit it to modify the app”. After pressing OK, your WhatsApp data will be retained regardless of the changes.
- Now that WhatsApp messenger has been updated, select Setting → Account → Privacy.
- You will see the ‘Last Seen’ option here, with three options – Everyone, My Contacts and Nobody. Select the one that goes with you!
Though, the latest feature to hide timestamp, profile pictures and status messages is a nice stroke by WhatsApp. But it should also keep in mind that WhatsApp could just withdraw with this feature any time.