[dropcap]A[/dropcap]lthough you probably already know about the northern lights and the midnight sun, did you know that Norway is planning to completely get rid of FM radio? Or that Norway knighted a penguin in 2008? And this is only the tip of the iceberg.
Here are some interesting facts about Norway you can’t afford to miss:
1. Since the end of WWII only 10 police officers have been killed in Norway.
2 Norway’s monarch is titled “Norway’s King” rather than “King of Norway” to show that he belongs to the country instead of the country belonging to him.
3. Norway actually introduced Japan to salmon sushi in the 80s.
4. Norway donated one billion dollars to help save the Amazon in 2008.
5. Norway is the birthplace of skiing. In fact, the word “ski” is Norwegian for “piece of wood”.
6. Norway has the highest gas prices in the world at over $10 per gallon.
7. Norwegian prisoners all have internet in their cells.
8. A large percentage of people (over 8%) eat tacos every single Friday. They call them “fredagstacos”.
9. If you publish a book in Norway, the government will buy 1000 copies of it and distribute them to libraries around the country.
10. King Olav V of Norway used public transport and paid for his own tickets.
11. King Herald of Norway vowed celibacy for his entire life unless he could marry his true love, the daughter of a cloth merchant. She eventually became queen.
12. Norway’s original name was “Nordweg” meaning “Northern Way”.