[dropcap]M[/dropcap]OSCOW – Russia, located in Eurasia , is one of the most popular countries in the world. The official language is Russian but there are 27 other languages co-official in various regions throughout the country.
Most people are aware of where Russia is located and what types of people live there, but there are many little known facts about this country and its culture that are really quite interesting.
1. A Russian man once drank three bottles of vodka, then jumped out of a 5 story window, walked back up, and jumped again.
Yes, he survived and remained uninjured.
2. In Soviet Russia, prisoners would get tattoos of Lenin and Stalin, because guards weren’t allowed to shoot at images of national leaders.
At least guards would not shoot at the tattooed spot of a body.
3. It’s illegal to be “emo” in Russia.
Emo websites and emo music are banned to keep the society “clean”.
4. Russia is the same size as Pluto.
In fact Pluto is even a bit smaller with its surface area of roughly 16,650,000 square kilometers.
5. There are coffee houses in Russia where food and drink are free but you pay for time.
One minute spent in such a cafe may cost from 1 to 3 roubles. The idea itself was born in China.
6. 110 people in Russia (0.0000007% of the population) own 35% of all wealth.
It’s the country of the highest wealth inequality!
7. There’s a museum in Russia that hires cats to protect its artworks against rodents.
Cats have been protecting the State Hermitage of Saint Petersburg since 1764.
8. They played human chess in 1924, St. Petersburg, Russia.
9. Chess was a very popular game in the 20s in Russia. So it inspired Russians to play the human chess on the biggest squares.
10. In Russia, if you step on somebody’s foot accidentally, you are expected to put your foot out so they can equally step on yours.