The capital and largest city in KPK is Peshawar, followed by Mardan. KPK shares an international border with Afghanistan, and is connected via the Khyber Pass.
Some interesting facts about KPK:
- The second highest mountain peak in the world, K2, is located in these Northern Areas.
- The Karakoram Highway is the bridge between China and Pakistan, and has been constructed at a height of 15,397 ft. making it the highest paved international road in the world.
- The highest polo ground in the World is located in Gilgit, Baltistan on the Shandur Top commonly referred to as the roof of the world.
- The people of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa converse in a variety of languages such as Khowar, Hindko, Kohistani, Shina, Torwali, Kashmiri, Kalasha, Farsi and Kaghani.
- Khyber Pakhtunkhwa is spread over 74,521 sq. km, and has a population of over 22 million!
- The province is divided into three parts, one is composed of settled areas, the second is called FATA (Federally Administered Tribal Areas), the third is PATA (Provincially Administered Tribal Areas).
- The province originally known as the North-West Frontier Province but was renamed Khyber Pakhtunkhwa in 2010.
- The literacy rate of this region was recorded in 2012 to be 60.9%
Due to the invasion of Afghanistan by the Soviet Union, Peshawar, the provincial capital of KPK, provided 3 million Afghan refugees with shelter.