He took up the charge of the Supreme Court after retirement of Justice (Retd) Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry.
Justice Jillani also served on the post of acting Chief Election Commissioner.
- He did his Masters in Political Science from Forman Christian College, Lahore and LLB from the University of Punjab
- He completed a course in Constitutional Law at the Institute of Advance Legal Studies from the University of London.
- Jillani started practice at district courts Multan in 1974. He was elected Member Punjab Bar Council in 1978 and appointed Assistant Advocate General Punjab in July 1979.
- After serving Lahore High Court for ten years, Justice Jillani was elevated as a judge of the Supreme Court of Pakistan on July 31, 2004.
- He was amongst those judges who refused to take oath under the 2007 PCO issued by the former President Parvez Musharraf.
After his retirement, Justice Nasirul Mulk will take up the charge as the top judge of the country.