NEW YORK – When you’re just starting your career, you need all the help you can get managing your time. Even when you’re working hard, you could be wasting a tremendous amount of time either by trying to multitask or by focusing too much on minute details.
Here is best time-management tips everyone should learn in their 20s.
1. There’s always time. Time is priorities.
2. Days always fill up faster than you’d expect.
3. Work more when you’re in the zone. Relax when you’re not.
4. Stop multitasking. It kills your focus.
5. We’re always more focused and productive with limited time.
6. Work is the best way to get working. Start with small tasks to get the ball rolling.
7. Work iteratively. Expectations to do things perfectly are stifling.
8. More work hours doesn’t mean more productivity. Use constraints as opportunities.
9. Separate brainless and strategic tasks to become more productive.
10. Organize important meetings early in the day. Time leading up to an event is often wasted.
11. Schedule meetings and communication by email or phone back-to-back to create blocks of uninterrupted work.
12. Work around procrastination. Procrastinate between intense sprints of work.
13. Break down a massive task into manageable blocks.
14. No two tasks ever hold the same importance. Always prioritize. Be really careful with to-do lists.
15. Always know the one thing you really need to get done during the day.
16. Delegate, and learn to make use of other people.
17. Turn the page on yesterday. Only ever think about today and tomorrow.
18. Set deadlines for everything. Don’t let tasks go on indefinitely.
19. Always take notes.
20. Write down any unrelated thoughts that pop up when you’re in the zone, so that they don’t linger as distractions.