[dropcap]H[/dropcap]eart disease is one of the most feared ailment and a side effect of sedentary lifestyle. You can control the effects of your lifestyle by eating the right food.
It’s quite often difficult to change your lifestyle drastically in this competitive world. But you can surely change a little bit of eating and ensure you are protecting your heart.
Here’s a list of food that can help you protect your heart:
1. Black beans: Black beans are packed with folate, antioxidants, magnesium which are good for lowering blood pressure, blood sugar and cholesterol. This in turn keeps your heart in safe zone. But if you are planning to use tinned beans, please drain the liquid and wash them before use to reduce the sodium content.
2. Salmon and tuna: These two fish are rich in anti-oxidants and omega-3, two important candidates who help heart.
3. Walnuts: A handful of them a day helps lower your cholesterol and reduce inflammation in the arteries. Replace them as mid-meal snacks instead of chips etc.
4. Oranges: They contain cholesterol-fighting pectin. The fruit is also rich in potassium that helps control blood pressure. Antioxidant hesperidin also helps lower blood pressure.
5. Carrots: Though sweet, they are good to control diabetes, which increases heart attack risk. They also help fight bad cholesterol.
6. Sweet potatoes: They are rich in vitamin A, fiber and lycopene making them a healthy substitute for the white brethren.
7. Oats: Oats in all forms help your heart by lowering bad cholesterol.
8. Flax seeds: Fiber, phytochemicals called lignans, and ALA these three ingredients in these small seeds make them a powerhouse of health. Sure protector of heart if had spoonful in powdered form everyday in cereals or salads.
9. Chili powder: Difficult to believe, but these Indian tasty spice actually protects heart and body from diabetes with its ability to spike up the natural insulin levels in the body.
10. Coffee: It can keep away type 2 diabetes, but people having high blood pressure should be cautious as it can have a counter effect.