ISLAMABAD – The federal interior minister Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan has blatantly given shut up call to those accusing intelligence agencies and categorically said that Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) led government is standing with the security institutes.
Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan was speaking with media personnel on Friday afternoon when he said that alleged murder attempt on Hamid Mir would not be taken as an opportunity to malign security institutes.
“No one should hold any doubt that where the government is standing in all this negative campaign against security forces. It is my duty to defend the intelligence agencies and security forces,” Nisar added.
He went further and stated that it is the constitutional duty of government to protect the integrity of intelligence agencies. “Government is standing with security forces and intelligence agencies,” Nisar reiterated more than once.
“Maligining DG ISI Lt General Zahirul Islam and ISI itself is not bearable. Instead of giving evidence to police and commission media trail is being carried out,” he added further.
It is worth mentioning here that Geo television network and Jang group of news papers had started maligning the Inter Services Intelligence (ISI) and its Director General Lt General Zahirul Islam for being the prime suspect in alleged murder attempt on Hamid Mir.
Geo and Jang group never wasted a minute to run the whole course of transmission in order to prove that how Hamid Mir himself had nominated ISI and Lt General Zaheerul Islam if anything happened to him. It was only after damnation and criticism on behalf of other media outlets and general public, Geo and Jang Group changed their stance and started publishing/broadcasting news that they are not accusing any institute nor pointing fingers at anyone rather demanding a free and fair investigations.
Chronology of Hamid Attack and Aftermaths
- Alleged murder attempt on Hamid Mir was carried out in Karachi on April 19 in Karachi.
- Army Chief visited the Directorate General of ISI.
- Ministry of Defence moved PEMRA to ban Geo for maligning ISI and security forces.
- Pakistan Army banned Geo News and Jang group’s newspapers in all cantonments and military offices.
- One local journalist hurled show at Chief Minister of Punjab Shahbaz Sharif to avenge attack on Hamid Mir.
- Hamid Mir released his official statement reiterating that he had threats from ISI.