WEB DESK – The State Minister for Water and Power Abid Sher Ali claimed that not a single electricity consumer, out of 1,252, in the Warsak-I Colony of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KPK) had paid the dues which mounted to Rs 726 million.
The leader of Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) was addressing a press conference along with the higher officials of Peshawar Electric Supply Company (PESCO) when he provided the shocking statistics regarding power theft in Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) led province.
Abid maintained that there were 1,252 consumers in Warsak-1 Colony but none of them paid the electricity bill.
He also said that PESCO would soon suspend supply of electricity to 11 feeders in seven districts of KPK as their power losses had increased tremendously.
Abid told the media personnel that almost 96 per cent line losses were reported from from 11 feeders in Warsak-I, Mathra, Domail, Palosai, Islmailkhel, Bisham, Tank, Bannu, Lakki Marwat, Dera Ismail Khan and Karak. He then maintained that this situation forced the power supply company to suspend supply of electricity to those feeder.
The minister said that they were going to stop power theft and suspend power supply to such consumers. “Believe me we are not doing it due to prejudice against this province. This impression is wrong,” he said.
He gave the details of areas where electricity theft was on the peak. According to him:
- Only 34 out of 1,718 electricity consumers in Bisham were paying their bills which caused the loss of Rs 48 million.
- Only 227 out of 3,800 electricity consumers in Sabir Baba are of Tank which caused the loss of Rs 153 million.
- Only 455 out of 3,422 paid bills in Kaulchi area causing loss of Rs 95 million.
- Only 125 out of 2,489 paid dues in Jhandokhel causing loss of Rs 173 million.
- 1,870 consumers out of 2,232 were using electricity illegally in Tajzai area of Lakki Marwat which caused the loss of Rs 105 million.
- Only 437 out of 4,774 consumers in Karak sub division paid bills.
- Only 400 out of 4,386 consumers in Bannu district (Rural II) area paid dues. It caused the loss of Rs 143 million.
- Only 81 out of 2,031 paid bills in New Mathra area causing the loss of Rs 310 million.
When asked that what if people start violent protest after PESCO cut their electricity, Abid said “Maintenance of law and order is the responsibility of the provincial government.”
He went ahead stating the some of the provincial ministers of KPK manhandled and harassed the employees of PESCO. He also showed a Compact Disk (CD) to journalist while leveling the allegations.