WEB DESK – After a long standing discontinuation of services, the US consulate in Lahore has been scheduled to reopen, however, with enhanced security measures.
According to the reports, the US consulate in Lahore will soon be resuming all its services after almost eight months of closure after receiving security threats.
In the wake of security threats, the US authorities requested the provincial government to shift the consulate somewhere else. However, the provincial administration refused to do so citing security concerns.
The consulate will start its operations after necessary construction work aimed at enhancing security for US staff, sources said.
As part of the security plan for the consulate, sources said, a bomb-proof bunker is being built inside the building for at least 100 US Marines.
In August 2013, the United States evacuated all non-emergency staff from its Lahore consulate, citing specific threats.
A travel warning was issued by the State Department which advised to US citizens that they must avoid all non-essential travel to Pakistan.
Earlier this month, another security warning issued by the US regarding likely attack on two famous hotels of Lahore after which diplomats of various countries cancelled their activities and limit the movement in metropolis.
On March 21, PakistanTribe reported that according to an intelligence agency, Baloch insurgents could target the two venues in Punjab’s capital city. One of those target would be Pakistan Minaret and second a local hotel of least importance.
Report claimed that Baloch Republican Army (BRA) had planned to target Pakistan Minaret in Lahore somewhere near March 23.
The report had been submitted to federal government authorities. Sources claimed that all concern provincial and federal agencies were alerted regarding any possible act of terrorism. Source also said that concern authorities were asked to arrange foolproof measures for the security of national monument.